First off, TWO POSTS in one week its MADNESS. I know, I'm totally blowing the mind of my follower (that's not a typo). Anyhow onto reality...
So I was working on my cyanotype project when I decided to take a detour. It is always great to see what happens during these detours. Often times I take detours as a way of exploring a technique or process. This usually happens when I am stuck with a project. The project from the previous post has me stumped. I want to make it interesting, dynamic and different from the other cyanotyopes that I've done, however I am not sure how to proceed.
For this sidetrack, I am trying to add more dimension and volume to my
piece. I attempted to use a cone in the base of cylinder to give a
better look. In the past I have used the cylinders with flat bottoms.
There is an interesting effect that is created. when you look at the
sculpture from the correct position it looks s though the original
image on the front of the sculpture is intact; when viewed form another
angle the front is abstracted.
You can see how I built the paper forms, creating small tabs cut using an x-acto knife and scissors. The other tool that I love is a good old fashion bone folder. Tough in a pinch, I just score my paper using a rule and a knife.
For those interested in seeing my planning, here is shot of my book. Within it I have exploration, notes, practice and a lot of reflecting.
I have two more things to share, a simple photo and another side track....
As some of your know I live on the west coast and that I love the outdoors, a lot of my work is inspired by it. I took this image in a provincial part off the coast of my hometown. The greatest part of this image is that I also took two frames using my Yashica-flex. When I went out I did so with the intent of trying out the new "pocket light meter" app, that I downloaded into my phone. In a few weeks, I will finish off the roll of film, hopefully the frame will look great.
The second point that I wanted to mention is the next upcoming event in my class, ATC. Artist trading cards are a always a popular event, at least my class. We all create a certain number of original art cards, get together to do a potluck lunch and trade the cards with each other. The shot below are the cards that I am working on this year.
In case you can't figure it out, what you're seeing is acrylic paint on top of tinfoil. The tinfoil has been crinkled and glued, sometimes over top of plants to give more depth. I'll post more images as they come