Boring Art, Boring Life: Multiple Exposure Mix-Up, update                                                  

Multiple Exposure Mix-Up, update


Previously I wrote about the most recent project that I assigned my students, Multiple Exposure Mix-up. To kick start the project I participated in the project, I took two rolls of film based on the same theme the students used; beauty. 

Aside from the fact that some students are still not complete their first 15 exposures and have not traded to do the second set of 15, some student jumped right in. By the end of the first week, at least 3 students, and my self completed our contact sheets. I will post my contact sheet later. Overall, I am really pleased with the variety of iamges that were generated. Although completely unpredictable, the shots are definately unique.Many of the students indicated that the project is one that they really enjoyed and would recommend for the future.

The first image I made was the interesting combination of a coffee cup on the table of one of my favourite cafes in Nanaimo, Mon Petite Choux. This image combined, curiously, with the photograph of an ornamental star, almost perfectly. I created four copies in the darkroom, two the correct printing and two printed in mirror. Then I figured out a possible method for presentation and set to work constructing the idea. I have a few pages of notes in process journal but I don't have scans of that yet.

 One of the popular assignments that I have student learn is called strip composition. It isn't very technical, it really takes almost no skill. I am using a modified version of the technique and combining it with a variety of three dimensional elements to make it more interesting.

Here I have the first side done. After completing it I realize that my idea isn't quite going to work out the way I want it to. Ultimately I want it to be one of those reticulated surfaces, where the image changes depending on the angle you observe it from.

 I arranged the pieces so the mirrored images touch each other with a folded paper joiner in between. This creates the kaledascope like effect. I rather enjoy the way it is trunignout. I join the pieces together with Yes Paste, probably my favourite glue for working with photographs and paper. Although it can be a bit messy, it is quite good when one learns how to use it properly.


After planning the overall project out a bit more in my journal, I have decided to construct a box that will hold the images in a ridged shape. Just above, you can see the general impression that the viewer will see the final image if they look at the image straight on. 

At home, I start to build the template for the base and top of the structure. Ultimately I am going to create some photograms using coffee beans, rather than using white paper so the object feels more complete.

Tomorrow, I am going to create the photograms on 11x17 sheets of photopaper and use the templates to complete the construction of the box. Completing this project tomorrow means that my project will be done in time for the Wednesday critique session. not including the time that it took to take the photographs, this project was quite quick. 

Developing film 40 minutes
Contact sheet 15 minutes
Four Prints 30 mintues
Measuring for template, drawing and cutting 1 hour 30 mintues. 

I suspect that I will need less than another 3 hours to complete this project. Oh, I suppose I will also need create some sort of written response to go with the project. Although I am liking the results. I am a bit frustrated with my print quality. I need to get better papers and spend a bit more time printing. It doesn't help that each of the exposures is slightly underexposed. However, we all must make do.

Labels: , , , ,